Alison Horst: Brilliant data illustrations

As I write this, I am a parent on the first day of summer break, and I have two kids who are very different from one another. So, these hilarious examples of Type I/II error from Alison Horst really speaks to me. 



Not only are these illustrations beautiful and funny, but I think they really get your students to think about one HUGE underlying issue in all of inferential statistics: Every little sample that we analyze is just one of near-infinite possible samples that could have been drawn from the underlying population (or, the sampling distribution of the sample mean).

Head over to her GitHub for a funny, normal curve illustration and higher resolution versions of the above pictures. She also has numerous beautiful R and ggplot illustrations.

UPDATE: 11/6/19

Alison made some super cute illustrations for a topic that is simultaneously very boring but also tricky for baby statisticians: Scales of measurement.



Comments