Z-score example, as inspired my Sa-kiera's George Michael stanning.

 So, as I sit here in December of 2020, I am being inundated with screenshots summarizing other people's Spotify listening data for the last year. Among the descriptive statistics provided by Spotify is recognition, in percentage form, of super fans who listened to A LOT of a given artist's music. Like my Tweep Dr. Sa-kiera Hudson, who loves George Michael. A whole bunch.

Since my brain views reality as Stat Teaching Example or Not a Stats Teaching Example, I thought to myself, "Huh, wonder what Kiera's George Michael z-score is? It is a 3.72.

And THAT made me think that this could be a funny homework question or in-class example when teaching z-scores. 

But then I would need more examples, so I went to the original, very salty prompt for everyone posting their Spotify portions:


And here are a bunch more for you to use in class. Throw them at your student for a class warm-up exercise. Use them for extra credit on an exam. Embrace the silly. 

Admittedly, some of them are numbers that you can't find using the standard z-table that rounds out two places, so you might find this tool helpful: https://www.socscistatistics.com/tests/ztest/zscorecalculator.aspx


z = 3.09

z = 2.575

z = 2.055

z = 2.33

z = 1.88










Comments

Post a Comment