A fast, interactive example for explaining what we mean when we talk about "training" AI/ML

When I teach regression, I touch on AI/Machine Learning. Because it is fancy regression and ties classroom lessons to real life.

During discussions about AI/ML, we often talk about "training" computers to look for something by feeding computers data. Which is slightly abstract. And a bit boring, if you are just talking about a ton of spreadsheets.

As an alternative to boring, I propose you ask your students to help train Google's computers to recognize doodles.

Visit this website, and a prompt flashes on your screen:


You draw the prompt (I used my touchscreen), and Google tries to guess what you drew. Here is my half-done wine glass. Google guessed what it was.


The website includes additional information on the data that has already been collected.


For every one of the doodles above, you can click through and look at all the ones created in response to each prompt. SO MUCH INFORMATION.




If you would like, you can also show your students this explainer video.



Comments