Subways! Murder! Absolute vs. relative risk!

When I teach the basics of probability in Intro Stats, I always emphasize absolute vs. risk. I am delighted to have a brand new example. Thanks to Sy Islam for sending it my way.

Here is the headline from The New York Post:




So, one murder is too many murders. A 60% increase feels very scary. Because relative risk is always the scary risk. 

Since this reporting is about something that is very serious, the reporting itself should be serious, right? Well, what were the absolute values for subway murders? I mean, The New York Post would never, ever want to instill fear in people, right? Well, despite this headline, The New York Post, much to its credit, did include the absolute data in the actual article:


Eight murders, versus five in the previous years. Which is too terrible, but not nearly as frightening as a (checks notes) SOARING 60% increase.

Anyway. Ta-da! Use this in your class. 

Comments