Ritchie and Weinersmith, explaining what is wrong with science.

Stuart Ritchie wrote an excellent book about the problems (and solutions to those problems) in science called Science Fictions. Illustrator and author Zach Weinersmith summarized and illustrated those problems in science in the form of a short webcomic. Both the book and the comic are great and have a home somewhere in your psychology curriculum. The comic is a quick, digestible primer on the problems with science. Meanwhile, the book goes into great depth, including many of the problems related directly to p-hacking, fishing expeditions, etc. 

Image from SMBC comic


Image from SMBC comic


For more, read Stuart's book, Science Fictions. Aside: I am American, and he is Scottish and reads the audiobook version to me while I walk my dog, and it is soothing. I'm creating a one-credit course for our Honors program based on this book. 

Also, follow Stuart and Zach on The Bird App.

Comments