Data controversies: A primer

I teach many, many statistics classes.


In addition to the core topics typically covered in Introductory Statistics, I think covering real-life
controversies involving statistics is vital. Usually, these are stories of large organizations that
attempted to bias/PR attack/skew/p-hack/cherry-pick data to serve their own purposes. 


I believe that these examples serve to show why data literacy is so critical because data is used in
so many fields, AND our students must prepare themselves to evaluate data-based claims throughout
their lives.


I put out a call on Twitter, and my friends there helped me generate a great list of such controversies.

I put this list into a spreadsheet with links to primers on each topic. This isn't an in-depth study of any
of these topics, but the links should get you going in the right direction if you would like to use them
in class. I hope this helps my fellow stats teachers integrate more applied examples into their classes.

If you have any other questions or topics, please email me at hartnett004@gannon.edu.

Comments