Online Day 2: Using Mythbusters to review t-test research designs

TL:DR: Imma send my students to YouTube to watch three MythBuster clips that approximately illustrate t-test research designs. Then, they will identify the t-test research design that is illustrated by each of these clips. 



More detail.

MythBusters is a show that gleefully creates research to test urban legends and random questions that arise in day to day life. The questions that my clips tackle are: a) how badly do people drive when distracted by hands-free cell phones, b) could Indiana Jones have really made it through the chamber at the beginning of Temple of Doom and c) what is faster: Weaving in and out of lanes or staying in the right-hand lane when driving?

So, they will watch the clips, and I will ask them questions (they will submit their answers via Google Forms Quiz) to make sure they can tell which sort of t-tests you would use to analyze the data, given research design. Here is the PPT I will use.

I've never used this exact clip in class before. I did something similar using a documentary (see Hartnett, 2013) and maybe it is time to freshen up that example. Seeing as the documentary I used to use isn't available for free, there is even more incentive to use a different program.

Comments

  1. I used these short videos for my graduate research class so as to encourage the students to conceptualize a study from start to finish. Thanks so much for the hints!!!!! The class was a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are we allowed to "steal" your idea for our statistics course?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment