SPSP 2021 Key Note Address

I gave one of the keynote addresses at the STP Teaching Pre-conference this year. I'm so sad that we weren't all able to come together face to face, but I am so glad that I was invited to give this talk at a pre-conference I've attended off and on for years.


TL;DR: You should do discussions in your stats classes. No, don't talk about degrees of freedom or bar graphs for an hour. Instead, help your novice statisticians see data (and your class!) IRL.

A few details on my discussion days, and how it goes:

I spend a full 55-minute period on the discussions.

My students must submit a brief reflection piece about the readings. Here is how I describe the reflection piece and Discussion Day in my syllabus:




Here is how I present the Discussion Day materials to my students:



Comments