Statistical literacy is important. I love examples of folks using statistical concepts without being snobby statistical gatekeepers. For instance, see jargon-free statistical literacy that helps people make important decisions about their children's health or informs the immigration debate . As stats teachers, I think we are remiss if we don't talk about political polling in our classes. At least a little bit. Here is a brief, nonpartisan interview about political polling you can use in class to see whether students can identify the concepts they've learned. Here is a short NPR i nterview o n how to think properly about political polling. If you use the interview in class, you could ask your students to identify the statistics and research methods mentioned. I clocked margin of error, sampling error, and research methodology evaluation. If using an audio interview isn't your thing, check out t his summary piece from NPR, based on the...
I love American dialects. There might be a Starbuck's in every city, but our regions are still uniquely identifiable by the way we talk. Joshua Katz (graduate student in Statistics) at NCS created graphical representations of data from Cambridge that identified dialectical differences in how Americans speak. Here is a story about the maps and here are the maps themselves. AND: You can even take the Dialect Similarity Quiz that tells you (via map) what parts of the country tend to have language patterns like your own.
I think this demonstrates that 1) graphs are interesting ways of conveying information, 2) data being used to make predictions (of what portion of the U.S. you hail from), and 3) statisticians and social sciences gather interesting and varied data.
![]() |
| Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...hoagies... |
Edited to add: The Atlantic has a created a video that contains the audio of folks providing examples of their awesome accents whilst completing the original surve.
